Monday, February 11, 2013

How Embarrassing!

The word of the day on Sesame Street today was "embarrassed."  Em asked me at dinner for examples of times I have felt embarrassed.  I told her, "Take a bite of veggies.  I'll give you a story for each bite."  I immediately realized two things...

1)  I'll do anything to get this girl to eat vegetables and

2)  Most of my embarrassing stories are NOT child-friendly stories.  Quick...  Think...

Bite.

One time in high school I went to the hair salon and asked for a 'Rachel' haircut.

Jason:  "Wow.  That IS embarrassing."

Thanks.  So, I asked for the 'Rachel' haircut, but left with a really awful mullet.  Clearly she was the only person to never have watched "Friends." 

Bite.  "Another!"

I came up with several stories.  I wore two different shoes.  I backed into a trailer in front of our house.  Vet visit that turned ugly.

Jason:  "There was that time you went to work and forgot to wear pants."

That didn't actually happen, by the way.  Too late.  My 4 year old was HYSTERICAL at the thought of it.  I think it falls under the preschool-no-pants-underwear-humor category.  Awesome stuff.

I'm trying to appear human in the eyes of my daughter.  I do embarrassing stuff.  All my embarrassing stuff was purely the result of miscommunication, forgetfulness, dumb luck and NEVER because we polished off a 3 liter bottle of wine before the dance even started.  Now that would be embarrassing!

2 comments:

  1. Mention anything about undies, boogers, poop, and toots, and you will have that child in stitches, and she will think you are a very cool mom.

    And to beat the veggies refusal, puree them all and hide them in food she loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!! We have to have a rule about "bathroom words." They can be said as much as you want -- in the bathroom. You'd be amazed how many silly jokes she can come up with in the time she's in there!

    ReplyDelete