Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Welcome to the Club!


From the beginning I've always felt like being a parent has granted admission into a secret society of sorts. While pregnant, I'd commiserate with other pregnant women about cankles and weird cravings. After Em was born, I joined in on conversations with other new moms about the unexpected aspects of labor and delivery (I apologize to those of you we scared). The same was true for the newborn phase. We'd look at other new parents with their sweet bundle of joy and I knew we were all thinking the same thing... What the hell are we doing?! Will we EVER sleep again???

I feel like each stage is like that. If you have a toddler or pre-school kiddo at home, for example, I could say to you, "I know a teacher who looks just like Mr. Noodle" or "This mango is yummy yummy" and you'd get it. Because you're in the club. We understand that when the box says "Some assembly required," it's really code for "Pour yourself a drink... You're going to need it."

My friends without kids are surely reading this and thinking I officially have no life. I never said it was a cool club. Jason and I have gone from quoting Old School to quoting Grover. I spent my Friday night at a tea party with my daughter and Elmo in our family room. This was after we watched Barney clips on YouTube and played with Little People.

Wild, right?

The funny thing is that I'm not complaining. I can't think of anyplace I'd rather be than with my family (I could do without Elmo). I like to think we're cool parents, though. Is there a club for that? Maybe next weekend we'll do something crazy. We have big plans for a pretty nice little Saturday. We're going to go to Home Depot to buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know... I don't know if we'll have enough time.

1 comment:

  1. Whoo hoo...the club! It's a lifelong membership. I enjoyed each stage of my daughter's development, and found it all passed too quickly.

    Now I am also a member of the grandparent club, which is BTW just full of coolness ;)

    ReplyDelete