Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"He knows if you've been bad or good..."


It's no secret my daughter has a flair for the dramatic. I like to pretend she gets that from Jason. We recently caught her practicing her fake cry when she thought we weren't watching. I was thrilled to catch it on video and it's since become her most requested clip ("Can we watch Emily Upset?") She smiles while watching her Oscar-worthy performance. The smallest things are SO exciting / upsetting / shocking that most of her expressions these days involve throwing both hands up to her cheeks. The Elf on the Shelf is no exception to this.

For those not familiar, the Elf on the Shelf is a great little trick that undoubtedly was created by a mom. A little red elf watches the kids to see if they're being good as Christmas nears. At night, he supposedly returns to the North Pole to tell Santa. He returns the next morning in a new hiding spot -- the fun factor of every morning routine. This morning Emily found him atop the refrigerator and shouted (hands on cheeks), "Oh my Goodness! I found him! I found the Elf!" She later informed me that she was eating her sandwich "so the Elf will tell Santa." Awesome. Can I get a Valentine Elf? Then perhaps an Easter Elf? This little guy is truly magical. Even when we're not at home I find myself saying, "I can't wait to tell the Elf about today! Let's use our inside voice in the store so he can tell Santa." She lights up and says, "O.K.!" (hands to cheeks, of course).

My little drama queen has been very, very good. I like to think this can be attributed to her sweet demeanor, loving parents, and consistent discipline, but let's be honest... There's a significant Elf Factor here. I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment